Sunday, July 8, 2018

Making Days Count . . . and why?

Who are we? Well, we are a family just like many other families. We have 4 beautiful, amazing kids and our world has revolved around them since the day our first was born. Our life has been completely wrapped up in our kid's adventures. From learning to read, to learning to ride bikes, field trips, birthday parties, class parties, homework, swim meets, baseball games, science projects, gymnastics class, basketball practice, dance recitals, youth groups, piano lessons, scout meetings, band concerts, you name it... we were there. ALL IN! I never wanted our kids to miss out on any opportunity to excel and improve and learn new skills. In addition to chasing our kids around playgrounds and sports fields, we made time to chase our own dreams and build various businesses. Much of that time was at night, when they slept. Then as the years progressed, the older kids would babysit the younger kids while we were working.

 We eventually got so busy "living life" and chasing all of these "opportunities" that we somehow got too busy to enjoy life. We were doing a lot. Our kids were honor students. (Stressed out honor students.) We were privileged to have a thriving real estate business and many clients that we will have life long friendships with. We attended different sporting or school or other events every single day of the week. We were so busy, we didn't have time to "stop and smell the roses" of life.  We weren't alone. So often, we would see friends and talk about how long it had been since we had gotten together. We would talk about how we needed to set up a plan to visit or hang out or have dinner or see a movie... then we would both check our calendars and find that we weren't free. So, we would keep talking about how we should get together "sometime."  Then we would stay too busy. Too busy to connect. Too busy to catch up. Too busy to make time for people we cared about.

 Then one day, I got a call out of the blue that my youngest sister had passed away. She was 21 years old. It was unexpected and completely avoidable and it devastated me. Something inside me changed that day. It is hard to put into words, but that day, that moment, that phone call, was a pivotal moment in my life. It would take years before I truly recognized the significant impact it would have on my life's course. I would like to say that I handled my sister's passing well, but I didn't. On the outside, I looked strong for a while. I tried to be strong for my Mom. I tried to be positive for my family. But on the inside, I was falling apart. The feelings were too private to talk about and too personal to share, so I kept them in, for the most part. I retreated into myself. Suffice to say, I was in a bad place; for a long time. There was a dark period with a lot of internal turmoil. Many experiences and many emotions followed that continued to change me. That's not the point of this post though. The point is this, life is short. 

 My sister passed away on October 11, 2012. With that sequence in mind, one of my brothers reminded our family that we should remember to make our days "count" . . .  10 - 11 - 12.  I really tried to do this.  I tried to remember every day that my sister would want me to be happy, she would want me to live life to the fullest.  Eventually, I got to a place where I could at least try to make my days count again.  I  tried to set goals and spend quality time with my family. I tried really hard to embrace life and really live. Inevitably though, life got busy again.  Work took me away from my family, obligations crept in and took priority and I found myself back in that cycle of being busy, tired and often overwhelmed. I tried to push away the nagging feeling that I wasn't making my days count.  I wasn't embracing life's precious moments and time was passing me by.   But it was always there reminding me... "life is short" and  "make your days count!"  

We kept making an effort to make our days count, when we could.  No matter how busy we got, we made time to take trips with our kids on their breaks from school.  We traveled during the summers, spring breaks and holidays, whenever we could.  These trips were our way of escaping the rat race and embracing life with our kids. I'm so glad we did this.  The places we have been have formed invaluable memories for us and our kids.  We took epic road trips up the Pacific Coast, went to Crater Lake, Lake Tahoe, Redwood forest, Yosemite, Destin, FL, Alaska, British Columbia, the Bahamas, Colorado, Seattle, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and more. These are precious memories that I will cherish forever.  Our summer trips would refill our internal "buckets" and give us the energy to take on our busy life again.  

After a while though, even our trips weren't enough to refuel us and last year we decided we needed a change of scenery. We needed to make some changes.  So, we packed up and moved.  We love so many things about where we lived and have raised our kids for many years.  We have many cherished friends and memories there, but we needed to shake it up, so we did.  This past year has been an adventure.  We started homeschooling our kids, stepped away from the endless pressures of homework and long school days. We started working remotely and trying to figure out how to focus more on our family.  We learned to rely on each other and make new memories and traditions, when we didn't know many people or have many friends. We have experienced different weather, different places and new activities.   It's been a journey!  By stepping away from so many of the things that were keeping us tied to the routine and demands of "normal life" we allowed ourselves to see that life is what we choose to make it. So, we've decided to make a choice to try something different. 

 Life is going to be different enough soon.  Our oldest son graduated this spring and is preparing to move on with his life on his own. That's a whole separate topic that I don't want to face right now!  It's just another reminder that time is moving on and we can't stop it.  Life is here to be lived and it's up to us what we make of it.  All we can do is try our hardest to live intentionally, purposefully and make our days count.  

We are choosing to make our days count by minimizing our stuff and maximizing our time.  We are selling, donating or packing up all of our "things" and will be traveling full time for the next year.  After that, we will re-evaluate and see what comes next.  For now, the countdown is on... we will officially be "homeless" in 53 days!  It's nerve wracking and exciting and scary and amazing all at the same time.  I'm ready though.  Ready to step away from "normal" and go see the world.  Ready or not here we come... first stop United Kingdom September 2018!  


The Journey truly IS the Destination.

 So, we're gonna wander around on our journey of life; hopefully find joy and make lots of memories along the way.  After all, not all who wander are lost.  If anyone needs us, we'll be wandering. And so our "Wandering Destination" adventure begins. 


3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mom. Thank you for everything you've done for our family and for the adventure we're about to take on. Thank you for helping us really live and reminding us to make every day count. I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so excited for you and your family! Keep posting! I’ll be reading and following along... living your adventure vicariously!!

    ReplyDelete

Ireland

As long as I can remember, I've wanted to go to Ireland.  It has long been a place of imagined magical beauty and wonder. I'm not su...